The Global River Alliance is an initiative proposed by the Centre for River Affairs of South Asian Institute for Advanced Research & Development (SAIARD). This voluntary platform has been formed with a vision to promote the idea i.e. Rivers for All and We have to Think River Differently as well as to engage the power of some river intellectuals throughout the world in one unified platform.
River is not just an international figure but also a trans-boundary related matter. It plays a crucial role in supporting ecosystems, livelihoods, and the overall well-being of communities, making it imperative to collaborate and safeguard these lifelines for current and future generations. Its impact is not only confined particularly on those areas over which it flows but may reflect on other parts also. So we have to think it in a holistic manner.
SAIARD-GRA is that kind of platform which sends a message of development, prosperity, harmony and progress to the entire world on the basis of the development of our rivers health. We believe that this visionary alliance aims to unite countries and stakeholders worldwide to address the growing challenges faced by rivers, promoting their sustainable management, protection, and restoration.
President's Note ......
Irrespective of all countries, the river is one of the most neglected parts of policy-related issues. Though the major focus of all of them is on the bigger one, but we forget to take care of its other feeding channels. Besides that, our due negligence, lack of knowledge and understanding, and overall, unscientific activities, not only help them to reach at the dying condition but, in the opposite, create some devastating situations when it reverts back. Some past and present examples, like Uttarakhand, Himachal Pradesh, Chennai, etc., of river-people interactions are, I think, quite enough to justify my words.
The time has come to raise our voice for the river. We need to stand up on a single platform to think about it differently, to design our river-centric policy, to rejuvenate all small & big channels and to start dialogue at global level.
With all these aspects, SAIARD under its Center for River Affairs (CRA), has designed a voluntary platform, i.e. the GLOBAL RIVER ALLIANCE to bring all the policy and decision makers, stakeholders, and river researchers together on a single platform to start discussion and thinking about this valuable natural resource.
As a river lover, I heartily welcome you to be a part of it & to spread this message at a global level.
Let’s unite for the sake of mankind.
The Global River Alliance is founded upon the following objectives:
- Collaboration and Knowledge Sharing: Encourage countries and river basin organizations to collaborate, share data, best practices, and research findings to tackle common challenges and promote sustainable river management.
- Restoration and Conservation: Support and implement river restoration and conservation projects that aim to revive degraded river ecosystems, improve water quality, and protect critical habitats.
- Climate Change Adaptation: Develop strategies and initiatives to help rivers adapt to the impacts of climate change, such as increased flooding, droughts, and rising sea levels.
- Stakeholder Engagement: Engage with local communities, indigenous groups, NGOs, governments, academia, and the private sector to ensure inclusive decision-making and participatory management of rivers.
- Policy Advocacy: Advocate for robust river protection policies, regulations, and governance frameworks at regional, national, and international levels to secure long-term river health.
- Capacity Building: Strengthen the capabilities of river management authorities and local stakeholders through training, capacity building programs, and workshops.
Prima Foci of GRA: RIVER & SDGs
RIVER & SDGs, an initiative of CRA-SAIARD, has been designed to promote the vision of connecting River and its concept with the different verticals of SDGs , to bridge the gap between human and the riverine perception as well as to bring the academicians, scientists, policymakers & stakeholders in a single platform for the wellbeing of rivers throughout the world.
The Global River Alliance will undertake a range of activities to achieve its objectives:
- River Basin Assessments: Conduct comprehensive assessments of major river basins worldwide to identify critical issues and prioritize conservation efforts.
- Restoration Projects: Collaborate with local communities and organizations to execute river restoration projects, such as dam removals, wetland restoration, and riverbank stabilization.
- Research and Innovation: Support and fund research on river-related issues, including water quality monitoring, biodiversity conservation, and sustainable water resource management.
- Awareness Campaigns: Launch public awareness campaigns to educate people about the importance of rivers and foster a sense of responsibility towards their protection.
- International Conferences and Workshops: Organize conferences, workshops, and seminars to facilitate the exchange of knowledge and experiences among river stakeholders.
- Biswajit Roy Chowdhury, Chairperson, SAIARD & Director, CRA
ASSITANT EXECUTIVE OF PRESIDENT
- Ms. Anewsha Bhowmick, Research Associate, SAIARD
- Mr. Rajiv Ranjan Mishra, IAS, Former, Director General, NMCG, Ministry of Jal Shakti, Govt. of India
- Er. Subrata Halder, Executive Engineer (A-I), WRI&DD, Govt. of West Bengal, India
- Mr. Peeyush Gupta, Official, NMCG, Ministry of Jal Shakti, Govt. of India
- Prof. S. Sharmin, Professor, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Ms. Pamla Gopaul, Head – Policy Bridge Tank, AUDA-NEPAD, South Africa
- Dr. Anjay Kr. Mishra, Madan Bhandari Memorial Academy Nepal, Urlabari-3, Morang, Nepal
- Dr. Mohamed Ramadan A. Rezk, Director of Egyptian Science ,Technology and Innovation observatory (ESTIO) Cairo, Egypt
- Dr. Alan Mercel Sanca, CEO Himalayan & Nepal Arts and Culture Society, Ireland
- Dr. Chris Sotiropoulos, CEO, Global Opportunities Commercialization, Australia
- Prof. P. Narangoda, Professor, University of Kelaniya, Former Director, SAARC Cultural Centre, Sri Lanka
- Dr. A. Peppa, Medicina Senate: Medicina Alternativa – OIUCM; Consultant E.U.: International Legal & Operations Secretariat AUGP and Vice Chancellor Europe & International Director Young Scientists University, USA , Greece
- Dr. George Essegbey, Director, Science and Technology Policy Research Institute (STEPRI), Council of Science and Industrial Research, Ghana
- Mr. Norbu Wangdi, Bhutan, Bhutan Ecological Society, Bhutan
- Everton Hannam JP, Secretary General, Jamaica National Commission for UNESCO
87/210, Raja S.C. Mallick Road, Kolkata-700047